Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Beautiful Flaws

Isn't it nice to know that even with our flaws, the Lord can mold us into a useful vessel? When I keep my eyes on the Lord I am unstoppable. I realize I am uniquely created by Him for a purpose. It's when I get caught up in the world that I loose my focus. I start comparing myself to others and forget that I am special in my own right.

As are you!

Keeping that focus is important in order to accomplish what we were made to accomplish. The world is ready and willing to show us just how flawed we are, how we don't measure up, and the areas where we lack in comparison to it's standard. You probably have a list of areas that you feel are inadequate, flawed, different from others. We don't need help on that end!

I have always known I was flawed, different...broken. You find out after awhile when you are born with a chronic illness that your "norm" isn't the norm for everyone else. I tried for years to out run the label of the "sick" child. One day a classmate asked me if I could, would I change my experience of growing up with a chronic illness. It stopped me short. In my own head "sick" had taken on a label of imperfect. I had forgotten I was uniquely created by a loving Father for a purpose. Investing my time trying to outrun the world's label had allowed me to loose my focus.

As I pondered the question, I can honestly say no I would not change my experience. Everything I have been through, the experiences I have had are what shaped, or molded, me into who I am today. If I trust what the word says then I know that who I am is no accident. Isaiah 64:8 tells us that "you, Lord, are our Father. We are the clay, You are the potter, we are all the work of Your hand." I don't have all the answers to the tough questions like why children suffer. I do, however, know that the Lord has a plan for every vessel, even the ones the world calls flawed, imperfect, or misshapen.

For reasons known only unto the Lord, He allowed the chronic illness of kidney failure to touch my life. In Jeremiah 18:1-4  it says "This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: 'Go down to the potter's house, and there I will give you my message.' So I went down to the potter's house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him." So the Lord knows the plan He has for us and as such He shapes us into the "perfect" vessel for that purpose. Beautiful!

I still struggle at times. I think, we all do. I also think that is why we need a community of believers to stand with us and remind us...oh friends we fall short. It has been my experience that we have been just as bad as the world at pointing, picking and tearing each other down. Let's commit to do better.

I think sometimes life is so painful because we struggle and fight the intended purpose of our particular vessel. I mean, maybe you are a serving dish but you want to be a flower vase. In your mind that is more glamorous. You want to be out at the center of the table. You are not going to feel comfortable or be successful at your work if you fight your intended purpose. You may think you know better at what you need to be doing, but friend you are wrong. If we would just seek the Lord, we would be a great success and most comfortable as we are doing what were created to do. we woudl eb in the center, of His will. When a vessel is working in it's intended capacity, beauty happens!

The Creator is pleased!

Tthe creation is happy!

Those that are there to see the work or are directly affected by it are blessed!

Find beauty in your flaws.

The Potter's Hand, hope you enjoy this song. It is one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment