Saturday, April 9, 2011

That's Not Really What I Had in Mind

Ever get frustrated because you feel you aren't hearing from the Lord? You pray about an issue, fret about it, and pray about it some more. You share with your trusted "prayer warriors" because you just aren't hearing from the Lord. You ask for help and ask the Lord why He is so silent on the issue. Someone says something to you about it and you get a little defensive, after all you are praying about it, right?

Yeah well, praying, maybe but for who's will?

This reminds me of the story of a man in his home as flood waters approach. He prays for the Lord to save him from certain death. A car comes by and the people offer him a ride. Nope, he replies. I'm waiting on the Lord to save me. He moves indoors to the 2nd floor as the waters reach his home. A boat comes by and the people implore him to get in. Again he says no, as he is waiting on the Lord. The flood overtakes his home and he gets on the roof. As a helicopter hovers above he refuses the rescue as, yeah you get it, he is waiting on the Lord to save him. Then he dies and goes to heaven. He asks the Lord, why did you not save me, to which the Lord replies, I sent you a car, a boat and a helicopter for you what more did you want?

That's the same way it was when Jesus came. The Jews wanted a warrior, a King who would come charging in and save them and give them peace. Peace on earth for a time. A nice idea, but not what the Lord had in mind. He saw the big picture. He was sent to save the world "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son. that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through Him." John 3:16-17.

The Jews prayed and awaited their King, but they missed Him. They missed Him because He didn't come how they wanted Him too. It wasn't their way. It didn't make any sense. He answered their prayer but according to His perfect will not theirs. He came in the way that would give ALL peace, eternal peace.

I can tell myself they were stupid for missing the most important facet of life ever. Yet I am just like them. When I pray for something, it is with a preconceived idea of how I think it should be. How I want it to be. The Lord answers, but I don't like the answer so I keep at it. Like the child who asks one parent for something and not getting the answer he/she desires goes to the other parent.

Ever thought about it that way? I think I am on the right path but I find myself telling my Creator, "Yeah, really not what I had in mind Lord. I don't like where You're going with this so I'll just take it from here." I want my will really not yours. So what was I praying about? Wow, if I say I trust Him, this is certainly not living like I do.

There are many versus in the Bible that speak about prayer. "Pray without ceasing" 1 Thessalonians 5:17. Versus that speak about the Lord hearing us and answering our prayer. He will show us things as Jeremiah 33:3 says "call unto Me and I will answer you, and show you great and hidden things that you have not known". However, we must truly be seeking His will and not ours. We need to listen for Him. To listen, we must be in His presence seeking Him. He tells us in Jeremiah if we seek Him, He will be found. Psalm 46:10 says "be still and know that I am God". I need to be still. I need to listen. I need to seek. I need to obey...even when it isn't the way I wanted.

It's as the song goes, "trust and obey, for there's no other way, to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey". There is no loophole here, no fine print that says you only have to do so when it makes sense or when everyone agrees with you it is the best plan of action. It won't necessarily all fall neatly into place in your head. So are you really praying for the Lord's will or your own?

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post Heather. I needed to hear that today. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete