Saturday, April 30, 2011

Pity-Party Humbled

As I sit today contemplating a recent contact from someone I really do truly love, I have to be honest. I'm mad and a bit put out. Yes, a little on the angry side, for sure pouting, but mostly it's hurt I'm feeling. It seems to me there are an awful lot of people, friends, and even family that only contact you when they need something. It's a quick "hello" with a "how do you do" so they can jump into the importance of themselves; their needs, hurts, wants, and desires.

That is about as far as I got in my little pity-party before the Lord, as he so often does, kicked my butt with a gentle thought..."and isn't that how you so often come to me?" Ouch! Yes, Lord, yes it is.

I'm often running through my day trying to keep up with the hustle and bustle of daily life and just throwing up quick prayers. I come to the Lord with a quick "Dear Father, I love You...please remember I need patience for so-and-so as he's getting on my nerves, I want to love for my clients truly I do so help me out here cause they're just plain crazy, please calm this weather down it's been so nasty as I'll be out and about today for meetings, keep me safe and could you throw in a good parking place at the court house cause it's always a pain to find parking!

I make fun, but seriously don't you do the very same thing? I know I do. I run to the Lord with my laundry list of needs, hurts, wants, and desires and throw in an "I love you:" and "thanks" as a side note. How backwards is that? How must my Savior feel? Probably, I would guess, ever deeply more than I do this morning. I mean He gave so much for you and me. I can tell you I've never done anything unconditional or heroic for my friends. I love them, but I didn't lay down my life for them like Christ did for me.

So when is the last time you called on your Savior just to say "I love you Lord", to sing to Him in open worship all by yourself, to read His word back to Him in praise, or to give thanks in quiet contemplation on all He did and still does for you. My thoughts turn a bit humbling and I feel the need to wrap it up. I love to write, but right now I have a need to worship my Lord in the quiet stillness of this calm morning.

Oh and by the way, call a friend just cause you love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment