Monday, March 14, 2011

In Anticipation of Spring

It was posed to me the other day about which season is my favorite. As this person rambled on about the grand qualities of spring, as that was their favorite, I pondered the question.

I too look forward to spring. The budding trees, fragrant flowers, and cool breeze with a touch of sunshine on my skin. I just adore the smell of the hyacinth in full bloom. Everything is coming alive. I think we get an extra "spring" in our step. Even the cat gets this crazy burst of energy to dash up a tree and jump into the bushes as if an unseen predator is hot on his tail. The birds are chirping their glorious song of thanksgiving as the cold temperatures dissipate into a fading memory. Oh, yes, I do love spring. However, I find my answer must be (if you would allow me to cheat just a tad) that I love the changing of the seasons best.
   
I quite often hear people say "I can't wait til spring", but then spring comes and you hear "I can't wait til summer". It too comes and in the midst of the AR heat wave that we all long for in mid-February we say "oh if fall would just hurry up and come". Fall comes and the trees erupt in bright splendor only to leave us the job of raking the lawn and we wish for winter weather to take it all away. The cold hits. The snow or ice falls and traffic comes to a halt, the grocery stores empty, our bones ache and again we wish for spring!

Isn't that how we do with the seasons of life? In the midst of planning a big event, we can't wait until the "big day". In the midst of pain and sorrow, we yearn for relief. When I get this promotion, then I'll spend more time with my family. On Thursday, we can't wait for Friday and on and on it goes. We wish and wish the days away until our seasons come up short and we find ourselves wondering where did all the time go.

I don't want to be a wisher- wishing my life away. I've been there, but I don't want to live there. I have always said there is joy in the journey. There is, I know it. I've experienced it even in hard times. My resolution today is to be present, to be aware, to be appreciative, to experience the joy in my journey!

I have so much to be grateful for, you have much to be grateful for. We take a lot for granted; people, transportation, health, food, things (wants not just needs), comfort, safety, freedom. We complain about the dirty mess the kids left behind, then they are off to college and we miss their smudgy little prints. We get impatient with our parent's stories and then they are gone and we desire those words of wisdom.

So, instead of being a wisher away kind of person. I want to be a constant observer of my blessings. There IS joy in the journey, every journey even the painful ones. You may just have to look a little harder, a little longer, a little deeper. This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it! Psalm 118:24

So what will you rejoice in today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment